Just down the road at Marcoola, the Sunshine Coast Airport expansion is going ahead full steam, and when completed there will be significant employment and economic benefits, for this region that will bode well for long term capital growth of property prices; not to mention the convenience of additional services and destinations for Sunshine Coast residents, less travel to Brisbane down the congested M1 as there will be more options from home.
Below are some project facts (sourced from Sunshine Coast Council website).
- New runway 2,450 metres long and 45 metres wide
- $4.1 billion contribution to Gross Regional Product (2020 – 2040)
- Potential to reach new destinations at home and abroad
- 120 hectares of land will be rehabilitated to offset ecological impacts
- 2,230 new full-time direct and indirect jobs by 2040
- Potential to attract up to 2,000,000 passengers to the Sunshine Coast annually
- 3,500 fewer dwellings affected by five or more aircraft noise events of 70 decibels or more in 2020
- 5,000 fewer dwellings affected by five or more aircraft noise events of 70 decibels or more in 2040.
Whether you are flying for pleasure, business, or looking to export; the Sunshine Coast Airport is a crucial piece of infrastructure for our region.
Completion date is well on track for the end of 2020…not long now at all!