When you decide to sell your property, one of the things you might consider, is whether or not to move out whilst it is for sale and live elsewhere, or to remain living there throughout the campaign.
What is best? Well, that depends on your own individual circumstances, and certainly many agents would recommend vacating the property and styling it before sale.
What are the benefits of vacating?
- The demands of living in your house whilst it is for sale can be exhausting; the level of cleanliness really goes up a notch as everything has to sparkle…presentation is critical and to elicit top dollar your home needs to look pristine. If you have pets and small children (even older children), this can be challenging.
- The agent can have 24/7 access to show potential buyers through.
- The property can be totally styled to make it truly shine and stand-out in the marketplace. It is difficult to properly style a property when people are still living there and have their own personal possessions, including furniture there.
Where do I go?
- Family and friends may have a guest room or self-contained space that can be available for the period of the sales campaign.
- Housesitting – you move into someone else’s home whilst they are away for a period of time.
- Serviced apartments or short-term rentals like Airbnb.
- If you’ve already bought your next home, you may be able to rent from sellers until settlement.
The disadvantages of moving out include:
- Cost of renting in the interim
- Moving stuff twice (unless moving into your new home in the process)
Predominantly, most sellers do end up staying in the house, and invest in some partial styling, whilst decluttering and storing excess items.
Whatever you decide to do; we can assist you to make your property look its very best when it’s time to sell!